Saturday, February 15, 2014

Critically appreciate the title: “Seven Steps in the Sky”




The title: “Seven Steps in the Sky”
Importance of the  title:- 
          The title of a work of art is like a signboard of a shop. A signboard indicated the nature and contents of business. In the same way the title of a literary work indicates its time. Kundanika Kapadia has aptly given the tiles, “Seven Steps in the Sky”. Today feminism is movement against the sufferings of women at he hands of heartless, ruthless and soulless male villains. They are fight for their rights and also fighting for their identity as individual in the society. Modern women novelists raise their protest against injustice e and inequality in the treatment of women. Through fiction, they seek public opinion in order to change women’s situation.

feminist approach:-
          “Seven Steps in the Sky” is Kapadia’s master-piece. Here she has adopted a feminist approach. Today we find progress in different fields of life, but here is no significant change. In the status of women, she deserves a life of contentment and self-fulfillment. One the contrary, she lives a passive and suppressed life. Kapadia firmly believes that ‘only a wailing baby gets milk’. A woman herself should staret a fight aginst the evils of suppression and injustice.

Message of novelist:-
                   According to Kapadia, an Indian woman is capable of become a successful ruler, organizer and fighter, too. But she is ignorant of her potentials. In this novel, Vasudha has also an inner urge to fly high in the sky like a free bird But she is bound the her household duties. She is a household slave. The novelist’s message is that all the women should continue their collective efforts till they reach their goal of liberty and equality. Here Sumitra represent such women. She is a bacon light to the distressed and tormented women of her society.

The tile based on “s¼tpd)
          The title, “Seven Steps in the Sky” is based on. “s¼tpd)” In which both the Hindu groom and the bridge promise each other to stand by each other through thick and thin. In the groom says to the bridge, the groom says to the bride,
Be an authority to look after all commodities in my house.
May the Almightily strengthen you, because your strength will add to mind.
Be the controller of my house with a view to increase my wealth
Be the source of may prosperity.
Pray the Almightily to help you in looking after all the dependent sin house.
Be my partner sin enjoyment of all the six reasons.
Devote-your life to me and obey my wishes.
          In response to the above vrvcnin) the birde says thus in kºyip\(tXi:-
It is my good luck that you have become my husband. All my happiness lies in you only.
I will honour all the elders of your family, look after children and be satisfied with what ever I get
I will prepares and serve food as per your taste.
I will always satisfy you with my head and heart
I will remain patient in grief and stand by you through joy and sorrow, will never think about another man.
I will always accompany you and will never cheat you.
 I will take part with you in all rituals. Today in the present of all near and dear ones, I submit my body to you.

          According to Kapadia, the groom and the bride offer such ideal promises toe each other for their peace, prosperity and progress in future They take seven steps not for their degradation, but for their bright. Thus the worlds ‘in the sky’ suggest their progress in the times to come. In this way the tile, ‘Seven Steps in the sky’ is quite proper and highly suggestive.

No comments:

Post a Comment